Thursday, July 9, 2009

BESIDE EFFECTS

Today's entry is going to be a little different in that I'm going to "rant" about something, albeit in a ridiculous way. I was watching a documentry I recorded on my DVR (The True Story Of Charlie Wilsons War) and for some reason I didn't feel like fast forwarding through the commericals and one caught my attention, it was for a pharmaceutical, Ambien CR. Obviously there are a myriad of commericals like this but the side effects are interesting.

According to the pharmaceutical's official website, here are some of the possible side effects...

1. Memory problems Sleep medicines may cause a special type of memory loss or "amnesia." When this occurs, a person may not remember what has happened for several hours after taking the medicine. This is usually not a problem since most people fall asleep after taking the medicine.

2. Changes in behavior and thinking Some people using sleep medicines have experienced unusual changes in their thinking and/or behavior. These side effects are not common. However, they have included:
More outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal
Confusion
Strange behavior
Agitation
Hallucinations
Worsening of depression
Suicidal thoughts

To be pefectly fair the website does note that some of these side effects are not all that common and could be the result of not taking the medication correctly. However, the point Im trying to make is why after hearing the possible side effects would the average person risk these possible side effects. I could see some one taking a risk if they had a really serious disese like parkinsons or diabities but not being able to sleep?

To me, not being able to sleep isn't serious enough to risk amnisia, hallucinations or strange behavior. It seems despite the companies warnings (legal reasons) the possible side effects are worse than the disese. Personally, I would just suffer and find another method to stop my insomnia. Its better than taking a chance you will become an aggressively confused, agiated, halluncinating depressed and possibily sucidial zombie who can't remember his/her/its name.

I want to be clear I'm not just picking on Ambian CR because there are plenty of pharmaceutical's along with their respective ad's that are outragous. I can't really knock them too much since they obviously telling everything that could possible go wrong with their product. Far as I know most businesses wouldn't do that unless legal action was a possibility but the pharmaceutical industry is different.

Its incredible, they tell you all the terrible things that could result from the use of their product and yet there is someone out there who is saying "Its worth the risk if only I could stop my legs from being restless because I can't sleep" I would hope most people would rather look for an alternative before rolling the dice on their health. Then again most people would prefer to take the easy way no matter the cost.

Now, I would be hypocritical if I got on other people for taking the easy way despite the consequences because most if not all human beings (apologies to our non-human readers) instictivly take the path of least resistance. But from time maybe we should use that big soft mushy thing contained with in our skulls and at least for a brief moment consider the consequences.

Finally, I've posted the link to the afore mentioned pharmaceutical as well as the commercial that originally caught my attention. I would ask that if anyone sees any ridiculous ads for medications that have equally ridiculous side effects feel free to post them or e-mail me. I also want to make clear, this subject doesn't upset me, its just ridiculously silly. Unfortunately the unintended comedy of these companies is no laughing matter.

-Jayson C.

July 9th 2009




No comments:

Post a Comment