Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A SHORT STORY

As I have mentioned before I'm currently not employed and yes I am looking for a job. However since I can't do much else except fill out applications, search and e-mail my resume then just wait. I have to admit that process week after week can get a little depressing, especially when no one calls but I have to constantly remind my self that its tough for everyone right now and financially I have it a little easier.

I also have to mention I don't have a car and my brother is at work most of the day. There isn't much with in walking distance and if there were, 100+ degree temperatures isn't something you want to be in if you don't have a choice. I don't mind getting on the bus and going somewhere, that's not an issue but again its still pretty damn hot outside and I'm trying not to spend money on frivolous things.

Now to the point of this blog entry, basically being home by my self I have to find a way to occupy my mind and not thinking about being unemployed. The first couple of weeks I was playing Sim City 3000 allot but I quickly grew bored with that. I still play from to time but its no longer the distraction that it was. Then I started to fall back on an old hobby that I usually don't have the energy for when I'm working and writing at the same time.

The thing is with whatever I'm writing I usually don't finish because I get bored mid-way. So with the screenplay I'm working on right now I'm quickly coming up to that quitting point. I needed a solution and fast so I went to work on a short story. While I writing this short story I forgot how relaxing it can be. Obviously I want it to be good so I'm not just doing what ever but at the same time, there isn't allot of stress involved.

Screenplays tend to have somewhat rigid structures and weather your adapting something or writing something original its still a very time consuming process. In order of writing the difficulty level is this. Novels (hardest) - Screenplays (medium) & Short Stories (easy). I'm not ready to say exactly what this short story is about but I do like it and again, its such a nice break from the screenplay.

Finally, in the process of writing the short story I've discovered that if you want to write a novel, that's the best way to go. You just start writing without much of a plan, just an idea then through that you find you have created the basics. The basics being the characters, setting and plot so with all those basics laid out its possible to expand a short story into a novel. By the time your done with the short version, you already have the beginning, middle and end.

-Jayson C.

July 14th 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment