Monday, July 13, 2009

LIFE ISN'T VERY SPORTING

So, how was every ones weekend? (insert sound of crickets) Ok well mine was boring as usual and not having a job that produces expendable income doesn't help either. I suppose its not a terrible thing especially when it means I get to stay out of 100 + degree heat while others have to trudge through said heat. Anyway I had intended to post something over the weekend about this guy and an origami city but there were some technical issues that prevented it.

But I am back fresh from the long and dull weekend and the topic for today is sports. Now let me be clear I don't hate sports in that I don't have a deep seeded kind of loathing for sports or any area of sports. I simply don't find that interesting except when it comes to the internal politics of a particular sport then it becomes interesting to me. But by and large when it comes to baseball, basketball, football (the U.S. version) its just too boring.

Now my question is to why should I have to like sports thus risk being accused of being gay and to quote a Seinfeld episode "not that there is anything wrong with that" because there isn't. That is to say there is nothing wrong with sports or being gay. Its just that no sport is all the interesting to me and to be honest, never has been. I did try out for the tennis team back in high school but I grew bored with that to.

I don't know what that says about me that both observing and participating in the thing holds little or no interest for me. I also want to say this, why is that when a school has to cut its budget, the music and art programs are the first to go. Just once I want the jocks to suffer and watch in glee as basketball and football take the hit. I realize that may come off as a bitter soaked rant but that's not entirely true.

I think sports and the arts at any level of school are both important but it does seem like the arts are the first to get a whack. That really does make me mad because its always the nerd things that get taken out first because they aren't cool enough. But here is the ugly truth, sports fans and the players are the bigger losers. When was the last time you saw the chess club jump football players.

Probably never because that would never happen but still. The nerds and the geeks aren't the ones causing mental and physical pain to those around them even though on many levels the smart guys are superior. I suppose I don't understand why the weakest (physically) have to be the targets of pain. Ok, I'm going to get off my little Calgon soap box now and if I offended anyone I'm sorry but sports does bring out a little bitterness in me.

-Jayson C.

July 13th 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment