Friday, July 10, 2009

A LOTTERY OF IDIOTS PART II

Lets put aside the amount of work it would take to maintain a large home and assume you don't have an army of people to do your work for you I can't imagine being able to fill something that large unless I have a family. But if I were to win millions of dollars I would want something that I personally could handle, literally with in my means. Hell, I wouldn't mind painting it once or twice a year but mowing the lawn would be a pleasure.

Anyway, let me tell you what I would do with my small fortune because I think I have a good plan even though its subject to unforeseen obstacles. I figure it this way, I would need at least 3 million. The first million would cover a new house and any moving expenses and I know your thinking, "what a hypocrite" but hear me out. I'm thinking of a 3 bedroom lake house in Montana and given I don't have allot of nice furniture now I would have to furnish it.

The first million just ensures I don't have to worry too much about expenses but I would still look for good deals, its just me. I've never been very extravagant or even stylish but I would still like to fill it with nice things that match (that would be a first). The next million covers any bills, maintenance, health, etc... and finally the last million ensures I will never have to work again. I can travel, indulge in various hobbies.

The bottom line is I would simply retire to a quiet part of the world and live the next 50 years of my life in relative peace and quiet. Now, that assumes I live to be 80 and given how the world works, its possible I won't make it that far but I have to set some kind of parameter. It seems to me that just being able to live your life with as little drama as possible is the best way to go and one that makes sense to me.

When I first started thinking about what I would do if I won the lottery or came into a large sum of money I assumed I would end up staying in AZ but then I quickly realized that it gets warmer every year since I was born in 1979 and that trend shows no sign of retreating. Personally I like the heat but not 365 days a year. While Montana can be bitterly cold I wouldn't have a job to go to so I could just stay by the fire and drink coffee.

To be concluded...

Jayson C.

July 10th 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment