Monday, July 20, 2009

THE WRITE EPIPHANY

Something extraordinary happened to me a few nights ago. As you all know I've been working on this short story and before I went to bed I just jotted down some notes or thoughts on it. What came out of those notes was very interesting. Basically I found a pattern or theme to how I was writing the story. I grant you, this pattern really only applies to a first person narrative but its still a remarkable discovery.

With this theme that just developed seemingly at random I can now apply it to some other story I ideas that I have. Suddenly the prospect of trying to get all of these ideas on the page doesn't seem quite as daunting. Obviously I still have to figure out a way to write beyond the first person perspective because even I would get bored with writing for just one point of view. I'm no different than the reader, I want to see whats on the other side of the cobblestone wall to.

I think what I have is a good formula and I don't mind sharing it because I think it could be of use to other young writers such as my self who are struggling. To be honest I'm not sure why this particular pattern has just now emerged but you know what it, it has. I'm trying not to question and just use it as much as I can. Its possible that all those years of playing "Sim City 3000" finally paid off.

What I mean by that is most of the cites I've been building have been symmetrical and have a pattern to them. I just like symmetry and order to things which I think sadly makes me more exited than anything else in life. Again I don't why symmetry and order give me such a feeling of fulfillment but they do and I for one intend to go along with. At least for now its serving my purposes. So with out further delay, below is the formula I am currently using, enjoy.

  • Sarcastically descriptive names for antagonists.
    Specific & descriptive names for others.
    Story name has multiple meanings.
    Settings give a clue to the characters emotional state.
    Sarcasm is used to deflect fear and anxiety.
    Story is told from the first person perspective.
    There is a steady build to the action.
    Subtle references to real world locations.
    The main character is often isolated even among other people.
    Describing objects such as clothing in terms of colour

I'm fairly certain that none of these things are new but they are to me and hopefully I will follow my own advice and apply to another story.

-Jayson C.

July 20th 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment