Sunday, July 19, 2009

A NOVEL NOTION

As previously mentioned before hand since I am currently unemployed and looking for a new job I've had to invent ways to keep my mind occupied otherwise my not so subtle depression might get to me. To make a long story short, I grew bored with playing "Sim City 3000" and fell back on an old hobby, writing. In addition to working on a new short story I've also gathered together just about every story idea I've had in the last ten years.

As a matter of fact, I had woken up early Thursday (16th) and tried getting back to sleep. I swear to the gods that every time I lay down a new or rather old story idea would pop into my head. So then I would get up and write it down and lay back down. Basically this process repeated its self for about a half hour. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that day but on the plus side, I now have a total of 35 story ideas.

I have to admit that not all of them are Hugo material but at least I have something to work with. Though most of the story ideas I have aren't really new and I don't mean that in the sense that every science fiction idea has been used. I mean that in the sense most of these ideas are ones I've had before hand but never bothered to do anything with. I hope I can get at least another two or three short stories finished before I go back to work.

Unfortunately I know that once I start working full time again writing will probably just get pushed to the side. But who knows it might not because I've never enjoyed writing before as much as I enjoy it now. I'm not sure why its just now happening but I'm not going to think about it too much and just enjoy the ride. I'm also considering trying to get one or two stories published which is something I've toyed with in the past.

Who knows, maybe I'm finally taking this seriously and honestly I'm not looking to make a career out of this. In the end my goal is to have written at least 20 good short stories and a novel if my patience holds out that is. Weather I get published or I don't isn't really that big of a deal because at least what I'm doing is somewhat productive. It could be worse, I might have ended up as an alcholic or worse, a professional blogger, just kidding.

-Jayson C.

July 19th 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment