Thursday, July 16, 2009

WHY SO SERIOUS?

I'm not sure if it comes a shock but I like science fiction and that's not to say that I don't like other genres. I like straight drama, comedy and even some westerns & I am confident enough to admit that I like the occasional chick flick. However I tend to gravitate towards science fiction because its a genre with so much imagination and near endless possibilities. Its a genre that feels wide open and less claustrophobic.

So I get up early this morning (unusual since I've been out of work) and usually while I'm making breakfast I turn on the TV in the kitchen and watch something on DVD or VHS (laugh now and move on). I was watching an old "Red Dwarf" special and I think at least twice someone mentioned how unlike other science fiction "Red Dwarf" doesn't take it's self too "seriously" and that really bugged me or rather always has bugged me.


"Not so seriously" almost seems to be code for liking science fiction but not really liking science fiction. Basically its some peoples way of straddling the fence when it comes to this particular genre because its still a nerd thing. I honestly don't understand why science fiction shouldn't be treated seriously instead of something the dares to be ridiculed. That's not to say that I don't like the sillier stuff like a fore mentioned "Red Dwarf" or even something off the wall like "Lexx"


Those shows among others are great but by and large I like serious dramatic science fiction. Mainly its because I'm a fan of drama period and science fiction simply adds another layer on top of an already good story. I remember reading in a magazine a few years ago "Science fiction is the only genre preparing us for tomorrow" I love that quote because on some basic level, its true.


I believe that science fiction is something to be taken seriously and no one should have to walk any kind of thin line when it comes to the genre. I would like to live in a world where science fiction is as respectable as any other genre but I suppose that's just a fantasy. Bottom line, if you like science fiction then you like it and if you don't you don't. For instance I don't generally like westerns but I like a few and I don't hide that parse out that opinion.


-Jayson C.


July 16th 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment